For hundreds of years, we have celebrated the New Year. Nowadays, all around the world we celebrate by coming together to count down the last few seconds of the current year, and welcome the new one in with firework displays, music, and a glass of champagne! Many of us go on to further solidify this ‘new beginning’ by creating resolutions. Common goals include eating healthier, taking up a new sport, or even reading more books. But what about giving your skin some TLC?
New Year? New You!
When it comes to beauty resolutions, by February, after the flourish of party season, many of us can find ourselves slipping back into old habits. However, with a little extra organization and some motivation, you can use the New Year as a time to become the New You!
Finding a Routine and Sticking to it
In a university study on New Years’ Resolutions, Professor Richard Wiseman and his team found “those who failed [to achieve their resolutions] tended not to have a plan, which made their resolution soon feel like a mountain to climb”.1 The study indicates that by finding a routine, we can more easily slot new habits into our lives, making the transition gentler and less shocking to us.
Slow and Steady Wins the Race
If you have spent most of your hair removal days shaving, you may not be quite ready to jump straight into permanent methods like laser or Intense Pulsed Light (IPL). Big changes can seem daunting, so you may find it better to ease into things slowly. While shaving may have been a quick and easy way to get rid of unwanted hair, it can also lead to regrowth that feels coarser within a couple of days.
Waxing, on the other hand, can leave you smooth and hair free for weeks. If you would like to incorporate waxing into your New Year’s beauty routine, take a look at our tips below which should help to ease you into your new routine.
Your New Waxing Routine
- Light exfoliation is a great way to get rid of dead skin cells that could potentially cause ingrown hairs. It is also a great way to prepare for a wax as removing dead skin cells can make it easier for each hair to be grabbed by wax. For the best results, Veet recommends exfoliating 24 hours before any treatment.
- Make sure your hairs are at the right length. If the hair is too short, then the wax won’t grab it. Veet® Ready-to-Use Wax Strips Hair Remover are designed to grab even the super short hair (1.5mm).
- Before you wax, have a nice long shower or bath. The warm water is not only relaxing, but can also help to open the pores for easier hair removal. You could even bring in some essential oils that can help you feel more relaxed.
- Whether you’re going for Veet® Ready-to-Use Wax Strips Hair Remover, or treating yourself to Veet® Botanic Inspirations® Warm Sugar Wax, it’s important to remove hairs against the direction of growth.
- Have a handy pair of tweezers on hand when you wax. Instead of going over the same area too many times, any missed hair can be quickly grabbed with a simple tweeze.
- Veet® wax products also come with finishing wipes, which can be used to remove any remaining wax and leave your skin smooth and moisturized. Be sure to incorporate these in your new Veet routine!
No matter what method you go for, keeping up routine is definitely important when it comes to hair removal. Don’t be discouraged by a long list of beauty resolutions. A simple change to your hair removal routine can really help you feel like a ‘new you’ right up to the next countdown.